Bicycle route

Bicycle route
My cycle route

Monday, November 29, 2010

Movember in Morocco

Wow, where do I even begin.. perhaps I should first make mention that this keyboard is in Arabic and everything else is in French - took me 20mins to just find POST NEW BLOG . I can see the inverted commas sign but it shares a key with three other symbols, and pushing shift gets me the wrong one of three.. so please bare with me as i struggle along here!

In short, because my precious hour has been taken trying to figure this all out I am strong, healthy and well in Agadir, a beachside town, renown for its great surf, 500kms south of Casablanca. Arrived here lastnight via bus.. yes, a bus, for reasons I will try to explain a little further down the page!

Literally and figuratively Morocco has blown me away. I was told that the prevailing wind swept across the Sahara from Cairo towards Dakar, from a 2 to a 7oclock direction.. this was told to me by a man who I think must have travelled the country during a different season. Fast approaching winter, the wet months, the weather and wind comes up from the equator and off the ocean.. headwinds all the way thus far.. beautiful! That aside, my little vent, everything else has blown me away from the warmest hospitality, to the tastiest pastries. Mint tea so good, but seriously sweet, to the constant delicious arom of good strong coffee wafting out from the many tea/coffee houses most Morrocan men seem to enjoy spending their time in whether arguing away or wathcng the beautiful game - football is as big here as I imagine it is in say Brazil!

I, with all my belongings, arrived safely and in one piece in Casablanca. I was stress about the bike not arriving - a great friend of mine travelled Morocco last year on a surf trip and had a nightmare of a time trying to find his board, I think it only arrived a few days later! An expensive night in a crappy hotel I was happy to be on the road the following morning trying to manouvre  seriously heavy bike through the bustling streets of the economic capital, boasting 8million population - after an hour I was happy to be on the outskirts and on the highway for El Jadida, 100kms further south. A combintation of a headwind and front disc brakes partially locked took me _ hours in the saddle to reach my first night stop; rolling in just as the sun had set. Found a cheap hotel and fortunately bumped into a nother cyclist, a Spaniard, who was heading back for Casablanca and who helped me sort out my front brake problem after finding me staring at the thing in bewilderment! Thank you Espanyol!

The next day was an incredible ride hugging the coast down to a beautiful beachside town called Oualidia. A group of surfers were having the times of their lives on some awesome waves - enjoyed watching them whilst listening and smelling the might of the Atlantic.

The following day was the worst to date in terms iof winds.. sheew! I had 65kms to Safi that took me seven and a half hours. At one stage it was so strong I would come to a complete standstill on a generous downhill. I tried laughing it off but then soon was back ito cursing mode as my floppy hat kept flapping up or down depending on the angle I held my head - as I said in my FB post, discomfort level at near maximum ~ although something tells me that is just a taste of things to come ;) come on the Sahara!!

As mentioned, this is the rainy period, and arrived in Safi as the heavens opened. I promise you somone is watching over me! Had to spend the next day there couped up in either my hotel room or a coffee shop trying to say dry: but Safi is a beautiful old town, one of the oldest in Morocco apparently, according to one of the locals. More rain was due for the next few days, and as I sit here in Agadir,  250kms further south, it is still raining.. with more on its way.

I hate being pressed for time but I have a flight to catch from Cameroon in April for both a wedding and a birth so I made the decision to hop onto a bus and make up lost ground due to the inclement conditions. I am not going or any records or out to prove a point to anyone, even myself - the point is the journey, whichever way it is undertaken, so say as you may, if theres anything, but I am glad to be a little further down the coast and closer to the drier Sahara where full days of being on the saddle will be plentiful ;) shoo, had to get that off my chest!

So to come to a close, because the hour mark is nearing, all is very well! Theres perhaps one of the biggest derby matches in the world this eve, Real v Barca and every second Moroccan man is either sporting one shirt or the other - not forgetting to mention a mustang thatd do any Movemberist seriosuly proud. There are more barber shops here than there are taxis and sportin a beard I feel somewhat overdressed ;)

Peace and Love:

3 comments:

  1. ciao Paolo
    am absolutely thrilled by your new adventure! needless to say I'd gladly have come along :-))... currently in Florence four a couple of days... met your parents who mentioned this blog of yours.... will be reading you... take care !!!!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are living your dream. Manifest8n! Shame you dont have a fold-up surfboard tho...

    ReplyDelete