Bicycle route

Bicycle route
My cycle route

Monday, November 8, 2010

Visual thoughts of present

Again, I've put off entering another post on this blog for the single reason that the trip has yet to start and what interesting news of views can I share with you when still living in a BIG frantic city... I am sure there must be something...

Two weeks today I will be landing in Casablanca. The plan will be to get on the move asap and head out from the chaos that lingers over any major city, get on the road and head for Marakech, a solid 2 day ride away ~ might make it three just to ease into it, and get the ass used to the seat. Perhaps I should just go with an ass, call him Africa and together make our way down south.. should the bike get stolen en route that'll be Plan B!

It's amazing how precious time is when you're pressed for it. There's still a mountain load of stuff to sort out, buy and sell over these last few days - when I rest my head back at night thoughts of the desert, the trip, the continent and the bike flood my last wakeful thoughts. It's that last hour of the day, when all distractions are sleeping or silent, that the mind ponders - like a well-oiled machine, seriously well-oiled!

Yesterday I bought a map of North and West Afica, all the way up to Cameroon, and highlighted the route to show those interested, and to know where I will be going. Estimated distance to Duoala, Cameroon, is 8000kms. I need to get there by 9 April '11 to jump on a flight to get to a wedding in Mozambique, and to the birth of my niece/nephew/grandchild on the 16th. That's averaging about 65kms a day, which isn't bad - but that's assuming I'm on the bike everyday ~ which won't be the case ~ the idea is not to fly through the continent at break-neck speed missing everything along the way. But there will be those days where a strong-tail wind can easily help clock 200kms in the saddle, perhaps more ~ so 65 should be about right.

Have just sunk a second and final cup of coffee for the day - and it's just past 9am (yes, it is a vice) - and the bpm's have picked up a couple of notches.. the rain with it overhead, beautiful.. and so with this 2nd wind I'd best be off and start ticking away all the things I need to do today etcetera.

Again I feel I should mention that these posts onto this blog will make for better reading once things are properly underway - so if you're still with me now thank you and don't give in, the best is still to come.

Man alive it's bucketing down.. like a sub-tropic downpour.. glory!

Grand day to you all..

1 comment:

  1. Hey Paolo
    I'm hanging in there with the blogs. I'm amazed and excited for you! ...and very inspired! you go!

    ReplyDelete